It is a great way for your family to reduce allergies and keep your upholstery looking good. Before you try to clean your upholstery by yourself, here are some things to consider.
Upholstery cleaning doesn’t have to be difficult. Clean, new upholstered furniture can make a huge difference in the home. This guide contains expert advice and tips on upholstery cleaning in Sydney.
Different types of upholstery
Some upholstery types require special care. Leather care is different from that of a sofa or couch made of fabric. These are the most popular upholstery fabrics.
- Cotton – Cotton is the most affordable fabric to upholster and it is also very durable. It is also easy to stains and catch dirt and dust.
- Linen – linen is easy to wrinkle and stain. It can also shrink so it should be cleaned with care
- Silk should not be used for high traffic areas. Silk is difficult to clean and should be cleaned only by professionals.
- Polyester – Polyester is often used as outdoor upholstery because it is durable and retains dyes.
- Leather is one of the most durable and easy to clean fabrics. It should be easily dusted and conditioned.
- Nylon – Because nylon upholstery is susceptible to pilling, it is important that you keep it out of the sun and regularly pilled
What are the steps to clean my upholstery?
While traditional cleaning products are still available, there are many eco-friendly products that you can use. Hand-held cleaning tools are also available. The hipages website has information about the best Steam Cleaner.
A vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment is required, along with your choice of cleaner, gentle brushes, and cloths.
Cleaning methods for upholstery
It doesn’t matter what fabric you have, it is essential to vacuum your upholstered furniture using the hose attachment on your vacuum. This will remove any dust or debris.
Use a soft, dry brush to scrub the upholstery. This will remove pet hairs and dust as well as loosen stains and bring dirt to the surface.
To deodorize and disinfect the area, you can sprinkle baking soda on the surface. Or, spray vinegar and water to clean the upholstery. It is important to let the upholstery dry completely before you use it again.
How often should I clean my upholstery?
Every couple of years, you should have your upholstery cleaned thoroughly. Spot cleaning should be done immediately after spills or stains occur to minimize the need for frequent cleaning.
You can also hire professional cleaners to clean your upholstery if you are not able to do it yourself.